ralphy wrote:
> The wireless extensions version is 22.
Thank you for that, I thought I had come across the definition in the
past, but couldn't remember where.

There's nothing better than a hard fact, which you have (kindly)
provided, to spoil a perfectly good tale !

It turns out that our -ar6000.ko- seems to have chosen to increment the
SSID length it is provided, by one. Not just for its own use, mind, it
increments the length in the data buffer provided by the originating
-SIOCSIWESSID- ioctl call. That (now changed) data buffer then informs
the kernel's subsequent -wireless_send_event- event notification. And if
the SSID was 32 bytes long, well, it now appears to have been 33 bytes
long.

I shall add that the kernel's -ioctl_standard_call- is also capable of
tinkering with the SSID length in some circumstances, but seems to be
capable of cleaning up after itself... (-net/wireless/wext.c-).

I found one sample of an AR6000 driver source code that appeared to
display this behaviour, and several that did not. Never mind that the
sample I found is apparently for an AR6003, and Linux v3.3. The fact
that one driver source appears to have done it suggests that others
might have done it.

That sample carefully increments the length if -WIRELESS_EXT > 20-,
presumably because it knows, I suppose, that -wpa_supplicant- and
friends will have taken care _not_ to increment the length in this
circumstance. Ho hum.

(File wireless_ext.c at:
http://dl.linux-sunxi.org/SDK/A20/A20_SDK_20130319/lichee/linux-3.3/modules/wifi/ar6003/AR6kSDK.build_3.1_RC.514/host/os/linux/
But not worth examining. )

A little peek inside our -ar6000.ko- seems to reveal the same
behaviour. There is always room for misinterpretation/error...

Anyway, we can legitimately "squash" the kernel complaint by simply
restricting the "random SSID" to 31 bytes in length, not 32, so my tale
still contains a kernel of truth.