On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Lachlan Hardy <lach...@lachstock.com.au>wrote:

> > Obviously it'd great if we could run ruby in the browser.
> Gestalt is pretty interesting:
> http://www.visitmix.com/Labs/gestalt/

That would be excellent indeed. I'm actually quite fond of javascript, but
see below.

> > I'm not quite willing to use javascript on the server side, not even for
> > consistency's sake.
>
> Why not?

I think it's a good question. Certainly that's the technically easiest
solution here. Javascript is a pretty cool language. It has lots of ruby
like features. One major hangup for me is actually just the syntax. Bloody
commas, semi-colons and curly brackets everywhere. Normally I'm not the sort
of person who gets hung up on this sort of thing, but I spend a substantial
amount of time going back and putting commas in and so forth, and it really
is costing me in terms of efficiency. Also, it doesn't help that in some
cases, some browsers let you get away with missing bits of syntax, but other
don't.