That's very true. Hiring is hard. Ultimately as an employer you're making a big fat guess but hopefully you've considered all the available data points.

The criteria I usually end relying on are: passion, intelligence and getting stuff done. Communication skills also factor in too, which helps if you're working on a team.

As Lachie points out, certification and github accounts don't feature in those criteria. They both however represent excellent ways of determining all of those things.

Cheers,
Josh