On 16/03/2010, at 5:54 PM, Xavier Shay wrote:

> In which I wave my hands a lot. I haven't thought this through totally, but
> thought I'd throw it out there.
>
> Problem:
> - My specs are slow oh no!
> - Setting up objects/object trees takes heaps of time
> - There's a *lot* of duplication in object creation in most test suites

I was thinking about this exact problem just this afternoon. I've been writing
a few specs for a project that has these same speed issues. Single specs taking
2-3 seconds to run :)

> Solution:
> - Add 'smarts' to machinist* so that it auto-generates fixtures for common
> objects and keeps them in the DB

I like this idea. I think it's doable.

A pool of fixture records, which specs can "check out" for use. If the pool
dries up, machinist lazily creates more.

Time for a hack night? :)

—ben_h