On 17/03/2010, at 2:29 PM, Pete Yandell wrote:

> Has anyone done any profiling on their Rails app tests to work out
> where the time goes? I've always wondered how much of the time testing
> Rails apps is wasted on the database syncing disk writes, etc. If you
> threw your test database on a ramdisk, how much performance would you
> gain?

Negligible time is wasted on disk: http://vimeo.com/10224566

This spec run causes some serious blueprint cascading. Although the DB is on
fire (check the log whooshing by), the disk isn't really being touched (check
reads in/out per sec).

The reads and writes hover around 30-60, and peak at about 160. That's on an
SSD that can do about 1000 reads/sec, so it's not really having an impact.

—ben_h