On 20 April 2010 17:01, David Lee <deathtoallfanat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> Greetings David,

> I think it might be worth thinking about (if you haven't) what kind of
> lifecycle / niche the book is intended to have, because I suspect that's a
> good way to make decisions about which things to include or expand on, and
> which to ignore - especially in the ruby world, where things move so
> quickly.

The idea of the book is to go through developing an application using Ruby
on Rails 3, along with the best practices employed by many companies around
the world, such as iterative and test driven development (using RSpec and
Cucumber, as they seem to be the "flavourites")

> If you want to delve deep into the core of Rails and present a coherent
> picture of how it fits together, it'll likely have more currency in a year
> or three than, say, if you conducted a broad survey of the best gems and
> plugins around for particular tasks. Do you want this to be something you
> write once and then set aside, or something you update alongside Rails for
> the next however many years?

Delving deep into the core of Rails is best left to the Rails Internals
series about to be started by the Rails Documentation Team (my
initialization guide is one of those). The book will touch on some useful
gems such as the afore mentioned cucumber and rspec, as well as factory girl
for generating test data, aasm for a state machine and delayed_job for...
delayed jobs. The book should be a good solid intro to Rails and kept
up-to-date over the course of its lifetime. That's the plan, anyway.

> On a related note, do you want to write a general (but hopefully
> definitive) guide to Rails, which pays equal attention to people of all
> skill levels and tries to cover every major topic (in moderate detail), or
> do you want to write something targeted at say seasoned developers, or
> front-end guys, or focusing on security, the enterprise, or whatever - which
> goes into unique depth at the expense of breadth?

I want to write one that starts off with "Here's Ruby" and finishes with
"Here's how you can make Rails scale". I feel that in doing so I can perhaps
teach a wide-enough-range of people and perhaps learn something new in the
process myself.

> Not necessarily asking for answers (as you obviously have something up your
> sleeve), I just thought the questions themselves might give you (or others)
> some ideas.

Any kind of discussion about this is contributing to the greater good.
Thanks for your questions.

> cheers,
> David Lee
>

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Ryan Bigg <radarliste...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> So I decided to take on writing a book and I'm looking for feedback. I
>> know a lot of you are more at the advanced end of the scale so I thought
>> this would be a great place to find out what to put at that part of the
>> book. Here's my post asking about it:
>> http://ryanbigg.com/2010/04/rails-3-book/. Any and all feedback is
>> appreciated.
>>
>> For those of you who I've told things I probably shouldn't have told: sshh
>> for now please :) Do not name names. Soon, I will tell all.
>>
>> --
>> Ryan Bigg / Radar
>>
>> --
>>

>  --