> If you want to delve deep into the core of Rails and present a coherent
> picture of how it fits together, it'll likely have more currency in a year
> or three than, say, if you conducted a broad survey of the best gems and
> plugins around for particular tasks. Do you want this to be something you
> write once and then set aside, or something you update alongside Rails for
> the next however many years?

I'll second this idea -- David A. Black's "Ruby for Rails" is still a
book I highly recommend for people getting started with Rails to
really understand it -- and it was written in Ruby 1.x times. In fact,
maybe an "updated' version of that book could give you a good model,
since it goes right from starting with Ruby to understanding Rails
internals (to some degree.)

Cheers,
Dave

http://davidbolton.net