I think you think so because, as you put it, you're a newcomer to RVM.
There's a lot of ifs which may or may not apply to the server you're
running your applications on.

I know more developers who write Ruby based on the install they have
locally on their machines than developers who know the difference. Are
you running apps on your server that rely on language features that
match the ones you have on your development machines? If yes, then you
just don't need it. Granted, it's unlikely you'll run a bunch of Ruby
apps, each using a different version of Ruby, on the same server. But
the answer to your question depends on whether that's the case or not.

I use RVM on a VM I run my website and a couple of other things. It's
all Ruby 1.9. I don't really need it. It has never gotten in the way
anyway. Just rather have my rubies and gems sandboxes away from each
other.

P.S.: it's probably not flawless, but reasons not to use RVM in
production more often than not come down to "I feel it's wrong". The
rest seems to circle around not knowing the tool too well.