After having relocated a fair number of candidates from the US to Australia I
can say that you should be looking for a 30% lift in salary from what you are
would be paid in San Francisco to have the same standard of living in Sydney.
If you are coming from somewhere like Austin to Sydney you are should be
looking to double your current salary. This big jump in salary does not happen
as most people think 1:1 is a fair enough ratio to maintain so you get
candidates who arrive and see $4.00 bottles of water and freak out when they
realised they have undersold themselves.

On the other side of the table when I have US clients establishing offices in
Sydney they simply cannot get their head around why a Senior Engineer is
getting director and senior director salary offers.

--
Cheers,
Adam