Assalaamu 'alaikum wr. wb.,

Dalam hingar bingarnya pemilu sekarang ini kita sama
sama melihat dan dihadapkan dengan pilihan2 gerakan
islam melalui partai2 yang berasaskan islam dimana
salah satunya adalah pks yang memproklamirkan dirinya
sebagai partai dakwah.
PKS yang saya bayangkan adalah partai yang mencoba
masuk kedalam sistim itu sendiri untuk mencoba memberi
good influence pada parlemen yang konon sarat dengan
sumber kebocoran negara dan awal terjadinya segala
macam korupsi dinegeri ini.
Selain aktif dalam organisasi atau partai2 yang ada
apakah pilihan bagi kita2 yang non partai namun ingin
juga turut serta demi tegaknya dien islam dinegara
kita ini.

Dibawah ini adalah suatu artikel bagaimana satu
pemikiran tentang berbagai harakah Islamiah yang
berjuang dalam menegakkan dien ini. Pemikiran shaykh
Ganuchi ini, meski masih dapat diperdebatkan, menurut
saya merupakan metode yang "reachable" bagi berbagai
gerakan Islam saat ini.

Satu sarannya adalah bahwa seorang aktivis muslim,
semestinya lebih berkiprah dalam organisasi-organisasi
yang bersifat terbuka dibanding yang berasas Islam.
Lebih memusatkan perhatian pada gerakan sosial
(terutama dalam pembentukan civil society) daripada
yang bertujuan murni untuk berkuasa secara politik.
Dengan cara itu tujuan-tujuan Islam sebagai "rahmatan
lil alamil" (QS Al-Anbiya:107) lebih mudah tercapai
dan akan lebih langgeng.

Dalam konteks Indonesia, seorang muslim aktivis akan
berperan sebagai agent of change manakala dia dapat
mempengaruhi suatu lingkungan yang kurang Islami.
Inilah sebenarnya tantangan bagi kita saat ini dan
inilah sebenarnya tujuan dakwah bagi kita di
lingkungan kita masing2, dipengajian-pengajian lokal
ataupun dikomunitas cyber seperti di RN ini.
Meningkatkan akhlaq kita semua (li utamimma makaarimal
akhlaq)untuk dapat mengemban tugas sebagai penerus
tugas para Rasul.

Wallahu a'lam.

Wassalaamu 'alaikum wr. wb.,
adrisman

Islamic Movements: Self-Criticism and Reconsideration

By Shaykh Rashid al Ghanuchi

Looking at the Islamic revival worldwide today - a
revival aiming to rebuild the individual and society
and recompose the nation's thought and politics based
on Islam - we find it making progress. It is making
victories that no other ideology is making in today's
world. The progress is not limited to the idea,
because the idea itself is improving. The Islamic
movement has been able to discover new areas of Islam,
and the discoveries continue along the path forged by
men of the last century like Jamal al-Din al-Afghani
and continued by men like Hasan al-Banna and Abu
Al-A'la al-Maududi.

The ideas of these men gave birth to modern Islamic
movements which rediscovered the Islamic basis upon
which to build life. Islam is not a group of
individual beliefs, rituals, or mannerisms. It is a
comprehensive way of life. Islam was around before the
modern Islamic movement, but it had been thought of as
a preparation for one to get to heaven, not a system
to mold society.

Today Islam is progressing forcefully while secularism
is falling rapidly.
While Islam attracts people who are looking for
justice, secularism is loosing major footholds and has
lost its ability to defend itself except by violence.
When you see a secular state using more and more
violence, know that it is bankrupt. The secular state
has lost its legitimacy. Instead of being based on
popular support, these states are based on
international support and on violence.

Meanwhile, Islam is progressing vertically and
horizontally. Its idea deepens daily while spreading
from fields such as politics and economics to art,
human resource development (including women), and
institution-building. Despite this remarkable
progress, however, I must make some negative remarks,
emphasize some shortcomings in the performance of the
Islamic movement, and warn against some pitfalls,
because we cannot always focus on the positive side of
things.

One of the elements of repentance is reconsideration.
We must reconsider our actions every day. Are we
really on the truth path, or can we be described by
the Qur'anic verse: "We found our forefathers doing
something and here we are doing the same" (Zukhruf:
23). This verse was intended to describe the
polytheists, but Muslims should learn to understand
the
meaning of continuous evaluation. So repentance is not
something limited to our relationship to God; it
includes reconsideration of the self at every step in
life. This is why self-criticism is so important. The
Prophet (PBUH) says, "Hold yourself accountable before
you are held accountable."

It is imperative that every movement correct its
performance. It should ask: is our plan fulfilled? Why
were we late in fulfilling it? What can we do to avoid
delays next time? If a movement has 20 members in the
parliament in one election, and five in the next,
shouldn't it ask why? If the state has conspired
against us, why and how? Such a movement should not
get angry because we ask that it re-evaluate itself.
We have performed such re-evaluations in our movement,
and were able to put our finger on a number of
mistakes that we made in dealing with the regime in
our country.

What I am proposing is a group of comments that have a
lot of room for personal interpretation. Some might
agree, disagree, or partially disagree.

My first comment is about the strategy of the Islamic
movement in dealing with minorities. Muslim minorities
are 45 percent of the entire world population of
Muslims. They are a major value for Islam, and they
are the pioneers of Islamic propagation. Either they
help open the path or else they become extinct.
Supporting these outlying regions must be a priority
before extinction. Look at what happened in the Balkan
region. In the days of the Ottomans, the spread of
Islam was rapid. After the demise of the Caliphate,
the Islamic presence there is like puddles of water
where the sea has left, waiting to dry out.

The balance of international power is not on the side
of these minorities.
They should not have to over-extend their resources
and carry the burden of Islamic governance. This is a
role for the countries with a Muslim majority. If
these Muslim minorities adopt the ideas of Islamic
governance laid out by Sayyed Qutb and others at this
point, they will have signed their own death warrant.
The role I suggest for Muslim minorities is to
reinforce the Islamic presence in the countries they
live in. There is a big difference between maintaining
a presence and working to establish an Islamic
government. The most a minority can hope for is
participation in politics. In fact, their entry into
the realm of politics is sometimes a major reason for
the attention minorities get. So they better focus on
social work. Politics is a grinding arena. The race
for government is the race for wealth and influence.

Sometimes we find Muslim minorities asking for
independence or a separate state. Of course this is
allowed from a legal point of view, but in reality
it must not be allowed. We can ask: is the quest for
independence necessary? Or can we except a lesser
arrangement, like self-rule, in preparation for the
return to Islam? This goes for the Chechnyans, where
the Muslim minority is demanding independence from
Russia. Russia is a decaying empire; Islam can get to
it in time. So why should we prevent that by splitting
from it especially if independence is simply not
viable and would lead to the annihilation of the
Mulsim minority? Also, the incessant demand for
independence might damage the relationship between the
Muslim world and the nation that the Muslim minority
wants independence from. If the Muslim minority in
China adopts the demand for independence one day,
and the Muslims find an interest in allying with China
against some mutual enemy, the Muslims will be faced
with a major dilemma. The Islamic nation has an
interest in not picking fights with China, India, or
even Yugoslavia these days. Wherever Muslim minorities
can live safely, and practice their religious rites
freely, independence is not necessary. In fact, the
pursuit of independence could be deadly. Generally
speaking, Muslim minorities are not requested to
govern the countries they live in by Islam, nor to
think about independence, because this will lead to
their genocide and put the entire Islamic nation's
interests in danger.

The second comment is about priorities. Is our
priority social work or reaching power? These two
items might not be mutually exclusive - Islam
wants to Islamize politics and society simultaneously
-but if the interests of social missionary work
(da'wa) contradicts political interests, the social
interests must be put before anything else. It has
been proven that what is achieved socially is more
permanent and better than what is achieved
politically. Modern experience has taught us that
things achieved through the state are quick but
short-lived, because they
depend on force. But what is done through social
activity lasts, because it depends on persuasion.
Humans do not like to be forced. The Meccans offered
Muhammad (PBUH) the government but he refused it,
preferring instead to establish his calling.

The Islamic movement must not have the government as
its first priority.
Takeover of government should not be the biggest
achievement possible. A bigger achievement would be if
the people would love Islam and its leaders.
Our entire activity is based on the Islamic state of
Umar ibn Abdul Aziz, which lasted only for two years,
and the Guided Caliphate before him. Who remembers
anything from the Umayyad or Abbassid caliphates? Umar
ibn Abdul Aziz was a beacon because he renewed the
prophetic form of government. The issue is not how
long you governed, but what you did. The years of Umar
left a long-lasting effect in the hearts of Muslims
for the rest of history. The most dangerous thing is
for the Islamists to be loved by the people before
they get to power and then hated afterward.

The third comment deals with civil society. The
Islamic movement should be keen on developing and
strengthening civil society even after the state is
established. Even the Islamic state doesn't have
control over everything under it. Government is a
small part of the institutions of civil society.
It is there to support and strengthen society. There
must be more institutions of civil society, enough so
that the people don't need the state. The Islamic
movement must return power to the society through
grassroots institutions. These institutions must be
led by elected officials.

There shouldn't be institutions exclusively for
Islamists. It's better to have nationwide institutions
where everyone competes for their leadership.
It is a waste of time to have a leftist student
organization, an Islamic student organization, etc.
The Islamic movement should not be an excuse to
divide the people. All are Muslims, but the Islam of
some needs a little rejuvenation. Even the idea of
Islamic parties should be given up. While the word
"Islamic" usually is prohibited for political reasons
from being in the name of Islamic parties, that might
actually be a blessing. Any party that the Islamists
participate in must be an open, national party.

The fourth comment is on the current conflict between
the Islamic movement and the secular state. The
movement is being subjected to horrific amounts
of violence and suppression. The question is: how
should the movement respond to oppression by the
secular state? Is state violence a justification for
popular violence? There are many religious replies to
this question; most do not condone violence against a
government that calls itself Islamic. Pragmatically
speaking, however, all of the episodes where
Islamists are responded violently to state violence
have been negative.
Popular violence, whether Islamic or otherwise, has
not been able to damage any regime's standing.
Leftists and Islamists have carried out violence,
and it has led to nothing but disaster, as in Syria.

The Islamic movement must abide by peaceful methods.
It must refuse all forms of military activity. This is
the lesson we can learn from the Rafah Party in
Turkey. The achievements of the Islamic movement were
confiscated more than once by the military. Had the
Islamists called for revolution against the army, it
would have been utter stupidity and it would have been
a catastrophe. Today the Islamic movement in Egypt
suffers from hard times, but its leaders refuse to be
misled into violence. These regimes want the
Islamists to enter the fighting arena, because the
government has more resources. Violence is what these
regimes specialize in, and they are rather creative at
it. The arena of the Islamists is thought, and that is
where the rulers are bankrupt. We should not be pulled
into a field where they will surely win.

The fifth comment deals with democracy. Many Islamists
associate democracy with foreign intervention and
non-belief. But democracy is a set of mechanisms to
guarantee freedom of thought and assembly and peaceful
competition for governmental authority through ballot
boxes. The Islamic movement's negative attitude toward
democracy is holding it back. We have no modern
experience in Islamic activity that can replace
democracy. The Islamization of democracy is the
closest thing to implementing shura (consultation).
Those who reject this thought have not produced
anything different than the one-party system of rule.

The Islamists have two examples: Iran and Sudan. Both
are searching for identity, searching for a modern
Islamic form of government. We have no modern example
for implementing Islamic government. The uneducated
think that the Islamic program is a ready-made entity:
stick it on the ground and implement it. I don't see
any choice before us but to adapt the democratic
idea. It might even be dangerous to ignore democracy.
Even more dangerous is for the Islamic movement to
reach a state where either it remains in power or it
dissipates. The movement's options must be open to
guarantee its existence. The ones who can gain the
most from democracy are the Muslims; they should be
the most keen for it. They might come to power
whenever free elections are held. The secularists are
in the minority these days. They are the ones who have
problems with democracy. They are preventing democracy
in the Islamic world, because they would lose.

The Islamic mind must adjust until it sees things in
their real light.
America, the Zionists, and the secularists are the
ones afraid of democracy in the Islamic world. So why
do you, brother in Islam, share this fear with them?
Why are you helping them destroy this beautiful
thought? The Islamists must realize that, despite the
achievements of the Islamic movement, the balance of
power is simply not in their favor. The balance is
in the secularists' favor. Governance might be
something the Islamic movement cannot do alone. Maybe
the better option is to participate in government as
long as the balance of power is what it is. This would
maintain the achievements that the movement has gained
over time. Governing single-handedly would put the
Islamists in the spotlight, and then isolation.
Rather, they must open up to all the political forces
and forge alliances with all national parties. Islam
is facing the threat of Zionism.
The Islamists must be looking for common ground to
establish a dialogue with the national forces, even
Western non-xenophobic streams of thought, to face the
Zionist threat together. The Zionist threat is
endangering the Islamic nation and the world, and is a
threat to values, family and religion. It aims to get
rid of everything good about humanity.

We must work to lessen the conflicts between the
Islamic trend and other political trends in the Muslim
world. May God help us.
"If anyone fears God, He will find him a way out for
him that he never thought possible. If one trusts God,
He will be enough for him" (Talaq:2-3).
Such promises must remain in our souls, and in the
souls of the generations to come. The sun of Islam
will shine the world over.
But we must affirm the need to educate ourselves in
Islam, fear God, observe the prayers, read Qur'an, and
find time to feel God in our everyday lives. We must
believe that, without God's presence, we cannot change
any balance of power. "And God will have His way, but
most people do not believe" (Yusuf: 21).

Shaykh Rashid al Ghanuchi is head of the Al-Nahda
Islamic movement of Tunis and is one of the most
important Islamic thinkers today. After obtaining
political asylum, he has resided in Britain. He is
considered one of the more pragmatic Islamic leaders
and supporters of coexistence and cooperation among
cultures.Politic