If you remember, Opportunistic record locking was an issue back in the days
of Windows NT and required changing (in some cases adding) a registry
setting to disable it. One  Microsoft support article that shows how to
disable it or to tune it to a particular need:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/296264/configuring-opportunistic-locking-in-windows