Dick,

My guess is that you might be running into a blocked outgoing port at the email
host provider.  Port 25 (a legacy Text format port), which is the default port
in Rbase basic email, is increasingly being blocked by ISP's due to excessive
spam.  I would check with your email host to see if they are blocking Port 25
and have enforced SSL or TLS encryption when sending emails, which requires a
different port setting. You can probably do this on-line at the provider's
website.  The provider also might indicate an alternate port to Port 25,
possibly 2025.   Unfortunately, the basic email module within Rbase does not
have the capability to send email using either TLS or SSL format.  You would
need to use the Rmail pluggin to do this.    But you can change the outgoing
port number in Rbase:   EMAIL_PORT    value    Specifies the integer value of
SMTP Server Port. (Default = 25), but would have to use a different
un-encrypted port specified by the host.

Since you indicate that you  can send email out of Thunderbird, you could check
what the outgoing settings are for the Port number and whether TLS or SSL has
been chosen, which might help to confirm my suspicions.  Port 587 is typically
TLS, which is un-encrypted.  Port 465 is typically SSL, which is encrypted.
Port 25 was the default setting for text only email way back when, but many, if
not most, email providers now block port 25 due to spam.

You might want to consider using the Rmail Pluggin so that you can send out
your email in an encrypted format, if security is of any concern in the data
being sent.

Hope this helps,

Steve Johnson