Bruce - I have a 5-tab Item Maint form with a main table, 4 temp slave tables and a permanent slave table. One temp table uses common field name links, the other three temp tables and the permanent table use links in custom table relations.
So we're up to five slave tables....
Depending on how the form is called, I use ACTIVEPAGEINDEX in a Form OAS EEP to open the form on specific tabs.
Hope that's helpful.

Doug