Dear Karen,

I found  CHOOSE in help but didn't recognize the usage for its #Lfiles option.

My RMD files are located in this subdirectory:  C:\RBTI\RBGX5E\Samples\

CHOOSE vaRbase FROM #LFILES IN c:\rbti\rbgx5e\samples\*.rmd
RUN .vaRbase

This CHOOSE generates a lovely, alphabetical listing of available database
opening commands.
The RUN command,  connects and opens the applicable database [represented by
the .varbase variable—RMD program name-- selected.].

----------------more complete
program-----------------------------------------------------

CHOOSE varbase FROM #LFILES IN c:\rbti\rbgx5e\samples\*.rmd +
TITLE 'databases available' +
CAPTION 'select a database' +
LINES 8

IF varbase IS NULL OR varbase = '[Esc]' THEN
       GOTO done
ELSE
       RUN .varbase
     ENDIF

LABEL done
      CLEAR VAR varbase

RETURN
------------------
In   c:\rbti\rbgx5e\samples, I created an RBase.DAT file to open when the
program begins.

My CHOOSE box opens in the center of my windows desktop.  Clean.  Simple.

RUN c:\rbti\rbgx5e\samples\varbase.cmd

The combination of the STARTUP RBase.DAT file which shows a choose box is
perfect—so easy.

In order to work, all these related files must be in the same
c:\rbti\rbgx5e\samples subdirectory.

Thank you for all your valuable suggestions.

Randy