been gypedthe bearded lady comes and does a double back flip" - John Hiatt

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [RBW] Re: Low trail Atlantis
forkDate: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 20:32:18 -0700

I have to believe that shimmy has a strong component of Human Body in it.  My
good friend and 35 year cyclist, twice trans-America rider, and former wrench
has had many bikes over the years and has had shimmy on every one of them.
Given the variety of his bikes, geometries, materials, etc. that his particular
build is the only common factor and, therefore, evidence of at least one cause
outside the realm of design.  I'd be willing to bet that every bike ever
designed has shimmied under a rider at some point.  Does that mean every design
is flawed?  No, of course not.  I, OTOH, have never had a bike shimmy, nor have
I witnessed it, in my 35 years of semi-serious cycling.  Ultimately, shimmy
caused by poor frame design is probably the most intuitive rationale, but
rarely the true and total cause.