Jim,

The idea of a rod operated front derailleur appeals to me too.  There
was talk about Tony making a clamped on version that could be fitted
to a frames other than his.  I tried to contact Tony about purchasing
one but never received a reply.

I then purchased an OLD Huret rod operated front "touring" derailleur
from ebay, it will shift a double but does not have enough travel for
the tripple I currently run.

The only thing that worried me is instead of sticking my fingers into
the spokes of the front wheel trying to find a DT shifter I will now
be able to stick my fingers into the spokes of the rear wheel while
trying to find the rod.

Angus