On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 16:18 -0800, Brewster Fong wrote:

> On Dec 2, 3:57 pm, "Doug Peterson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  I'm with you - 11 & 12 tooth cogs are silly unless you're racing.
>
> I disagree. I run a "compact" (i.e., 110bcd) double crank with 48/34
> rings and in 48x12, its not enough on many downhill roads and could
> use an 11t on occasions. So the point is, if you're riding long
> downhills and use a small big ring like a 48t or 46t, then an 11 or
> 12t can be useful.

Maybe so, although a 48x13 == 100 inches, which is plenty high enough
for singles, in my opinion.  But then, I don't ride long downhills - the
hills tend to be short where I ride, and I pick up enough speed from
sheer mass and the power of my Special Relationship with Gravity that I
really don't feel a need to pedal beyond 35 mph.  In fact, I find Jan's
argument in BQ that pedalling downhill makes little sense compared to
getting in an aero tuck and coasting.

I'd bet a six-pack of a craft-brewed lager you can get into an aero tuck
as slippery as an eel -- unlike me, for example.  The closest I can get
to an aero tuck looks a good bit more like the broadside of a barn than
it does those photos of Jan in BQ.   Do you combine pedalling with an
aero tuck?  Do you actually pedal for power, or is it more something to
do to keep your legs limber?