Leaving custom cassettes aside for the moment, pretty much what they
did when they went from 7 to 8 was space the sprockets closer together
and add an 11 or 12 tooth sprocket.  Many of the standard 7s had 13T
as the smallest sprocket, and all but one of the standard 8s had
either an 11 or a 12T as the smallest.

This can easily produce a situation where less (i.e., fewer sprockets)
is clearly more.  With a 7spd cassette mounted on a 135mm cassette hub
(7spd cassettes now seem to come with the spacer you need to put
behind the cassette to make this work) I find I'm able to use all 7
sprockets on the big ring without suffering chain line problems.  Add
an outer 11 or 12 to the mix, and now you can't get to the innermost
big sprocket without running into chain line issues; in return for
this, you get a high gear that's usually too high to use.  Bottom
line: add 1, lose the use of 2!

You've just reminded me that I have a 14-32 7sp HG cassette on my 20+ year
old MTB.  It came with this silly 12-28.  The replacement was a cheap stock
Shimano part.  So there are 13 & 14 tooth last position cogs out there.
That's one constraint on building a custom cassette.  I'm with you - 11 & 12
tooth cogs are silly unless you're racing.