On Dec 3, 4:36 pm, "PATRICK MOORE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But 8 sp was indeed slightly closer spaced than 7 -- which is why,
> presumably, they went with 130 instead of 126 OL spacing.

They went with 130 because the hub required more spacing and more
dish.  The 8 speed hub is bigger to accomodate the extra cog.  The 9
speed spacing got tighter but still used the same hub as an 8 speed.

Bottom line:  use a 7 speed hub for minumum dish.  8/9 speed hubs with
always increase dishing over 7 speed hubs.  If you want more speeds,
put 9 speed cogs on a 7 speed freehub and leave one cog off for a
hybrid 8speed system on a 7 speed hub...

-Chris

tallsteelbikes.googlepages.com