On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 8:32 AM, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery <
thill....@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Schwalbe Marathon Cross (700x39ish) is a nice all-rounder tire for
> quite a bit less dough than the XRs will set you back. But Patrick has
> a good point about the Big Apples.

To continue my thought: The Bombadil is a mountain bike, right? And this
particular one is to be used as a sort of all rounder, presumably dirt
biased, since it's a Bombadil and not a road bike. So Big Apples, which
handle dirt with aplomb (even tho' they do slide a bit on the loose stuff)
and roll well on pavement seem like naturals.

Why buy an off road bike in order to put road tires on it?

Now for road use, skinnies are innies, IMO.