On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 7:26 PM, John McMurry <johnmcmu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, here in the Northeast, that doesn't fly.
>
> If you ride in the rain, in the snow, in the mud, or dirt around here
> for several thousand a year, annual maintenance is necessary; unless
> you're willing to dispose of these parts a couple years later.

I rode in plenty of rain with cheap steel components (Kenya, early '70s,
Delhi, late '60s) and never had a stem jam.

Oh well, perhaps your riding is different from mine.

Back to quill versus Aheadset: I think I'd choose an Aheadset for a new
custom, with a custom stem so that I would not have to use spacers. Or
perhaps custom made spacer to avoid the "rings on the neck" look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kayan_woman_with_neck_rings.jpg

Now here is a useful question: let's say you absolutely refused to have
steerer sticking up above your stem, as any good Christian and gentleman
would. So you leave, let's say, 2" of steerer poking up above the upper
bearing race. Fine. Now could one not make a stem with a collar that clamped
on this 2" portion but rose higher, being in effect a quill that clamped on
the outside of the steerer?

Better yet, why not a system whereby you have such an external, clamping
quill with a separate stem that clamps to said quill, so that you can
replace said quills to raise and lower without the humiliation of having
spacers on top of your stem? You'd lose much of the simplicity of the
threadless system, yet it still would be simpler than the old quill system.

I think I personally would have a new custom threadless stem made.

Patrick "despite my loquacity on the subject, have no dog fighting in it"
Moore