I guess I came into this the opposite way.  I was a BOB, Bridgestone Owner's
Bunch member that ended up on the Rivendell mailing list when GP started the
company.  Although I read the Hobbit and LOTR in middle school, I didn't
really make the connection right away.  It had been fourteen years or so
since I read the books, and "Rivendell" the place didn't really stand out
for me.  Plus I'm just slow that way.

I'll probably start reading them to my oldest rather soon.  Right now going
through the L. Frank Baum Oz books which have a lot of the same elements in
them.

Bonus question:  Anybody re-read the LOTR books after seeing the movies, and
did that make the books better/worse for you when you read them again?

--
Cheers,
David