On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 9:13 AM, MichaelH <mhech...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I like full frame pumps, but have always had a problem keeping them on
> the bike, without some extra velcro.  Also, on a commuter the're just
> another item to get stolen.  I use a mini, which works pretty well,
> although I find it almost impossible to get over 70 lbs into a tire.
> I've considered carrying a cartridge to top tires up with, since half
> my flats seem to happen at a very inconvenient time, like in the rain,
> or after dark, and I'm not thrilled about the extra time trying to
> force a few extra lbs. into the tire..  Has anyone tried the combo of
> a mini and a cartridge.

 No, but the Velo Orange Quicker minipump can actually get a narrow tire to
100 psi without too much cursing and anguish. It is also sub 9" and fits in
an Adam or Nelson pocket. It's principal defect is that the grip for the
stationary hand is too short, meaning that your left hand (if you are right
handed) tends to get pinched lightly as each stroke bottoms out.

The Quicker is said to have a variable volume stroke, so it ought to work
well, too, with fatter, lower pressure tires.