On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 06:31 -0800, rb212 wrote:
> Joe Bell sells Silca pumps and he knows Riv frames, so I think you're
> pretty much assured of getting the right fit.  On top of that he can
> paint it to your choice of color.  (That option is sure to come at a
> cost and a wait, but it's the best looking option out there)

> >On Feb 7, 7:02 am, Jack <jhuber1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > My Atlantis and Bleriot both have Topeak Master Blasters. I also have
> > an older Zefal HPx that fits and works fine, but an all black pump
> > doesn't look right on those bikes. Whatever you get, be sure it fits
> > your frame... You might want to poll the group for help on that if you
> > are gonna order the pump online.

I've had Silcas and Zefals.  The Silca is light and looks nice.  If you
ever have to use it, though, it's not so good.  It can't reach any kind
of high pressure unless you are extremely strong -- it was designed in a
day when 50 psi was normal and 70 was high pressure, and that's about as
high as you can get it -- and it's quite fragile.  Look at it crosswise
and it'll break.

Now the Zefal, that's more like the M1911A1 .45 caliber pistol.  Heavy,
ugly, but if you have to use it for real, it's hard to find one that's
more dependable and more effective.  Compared to the Silca, the Zefal is
"lower geared" -- it has a smaller pump barrel diameter, so it's much
easier to reach high pressure.

Also, should you ever have to use your pump as a weapon, the Zefal is a
pretty fair club.  Not as good, perhaps, as Bruce Gordon's $300 titanium
Silca clone ("When you hit a dog with it, the dog dies") but close.

For those who don't like the black color, sand off the black, steel wool
it, and polish it with metal polish.  It looks great that way!