I'd be very interested to hear how the Shimano hubs are in comparison
to the Schmidt hubs.  I've been debating the dynohub vs. battery LED
set up for rando rides and the dynohub seems to be at least the more
environmental choice.   The only drawback with the SON hub is the
price tag, but at a 50,000km life between services, is it actually the
cheaper option in the long term?

Also, with the lights off, does the drag from the Shminano units make
a noticeable difference?