On Mar 12, 5:38 pm, David Estes <cyclotour...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Patrick, what I was thinking, is why not have a Ti "country bike" racer.

i see your point, and a Ti "country bike racer" is a step in the right
direction (although that is some serious genre-bending).

but I would argue that a race bike with 28s (some challenge parigi-
roubaix, perhaps?) is all that is necessary to compete in a race of
this sort.  no need for bigger tires than that or lower gearing than a
compact double.  heck, Sandy Whittlesey, creator of D2R2, rides 25mm
tires on that course (which is almost all dirt and hilly) with a
46/34, 11-19 seven speed cassette.

>This bike would allow the athlete to ride with more comfort
> and less suffering, which I argue would make him/her faster.

i'm with you up to the comma!  this theory might hold up over long
distances, which is why it's so popular with BQ and the rando set, but
for distances 100 or so miles and less, I don't think it matters,
regardless of terrain.

consider this, the top 25 in the rouge-roubaix (100 miles) finished in
about 4:30 hours.  that's not much time on the bike for seasoned
racers.