Works well if you and your tandem partner are married, but not to each
other :-)

The rider I stoke for has a Cannondale tandem (aka Clifford - big and
red); we've done up to a double century on it.  He bought it from
friends who upgraded to a Santana.  Works for us just fine.  I like
stoking because I don't really have to be awake in the morning; I just
have to pedal.  And I can sit up pretty much any time I want.