on 4/7/09 5:57 PM, Marty at mgie...@mac.com wrote:

> I put up my collection of Riv paper on Ebay today, and one of the
> earliest ('96ish?, black & white) catalogs talks about a Rivendell
> Mountain frame. (Front suspension compatible - GASP!) No picture in
> the article. Not sure I ever saw one in pictures, or if they ever
> built one after that. Might have been a custom frame option, but it's
> interesting that years later the Bombadil comes along - as close to a
> mountain bike as I've seen them build, and sounds just like what they
> describe years earlier.  Anyone out there have an early Riv MTB they
> are not sharing with us?

I dont have one, but list-member Bill M. mentioned that he had one in this
thread -
http://tinyurl.com/d7d48s

He was kind enough to send a photo, but I believe he was trying to find it a
new home, and I'm not sure if he has one.

I was going to put it in the "Generation 1" section of the Riv pages on the
Cyclofiend site.  So far, there's little else there, and the page is
embarrassingly sparse.

But, here's the link to the page:
http://www.cyclofiend.com/rbw/gen1/#mtnframe

And the direct link to the image he sent:
http://www.cyclofiend.com/Images/rbw/gen1/rbw_mtnframe_bill.jpg

- Jim

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

Send In Your Photos! - Here's how: http://www.cyclofiend.com/guidelines

"'You both ride your bike?' He held his hands out and grabbed imaginary
handlebars, grinning indulgently, eyeing Tom's helmet.  Double disbeleif:
not one, but two grown Americans riding bicycles."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Zodiac"