On Sat, 2009-04-18 at 07:03 -0700, usuk2007 wrote:
> Yes the Ram is fastish, but I have it set up for touring with 36 spoke
> wheels and a wide cassette.

Only takes a minute to swap a wheel set.  You'd need another wheel set
for a second bike anyway.  Why not start with that, see how it works?
If it's not satisfactory, buy the frame and the rest of the parts, build
up a second frame.

Or is this a case of hopeless bike lust in search of rationalizations?

>  I recently rode a friends Bianchi C2C and
> enjoyed it, apart from having my hands so low. It felt a lot different
> from the bikes I have and I saw an excuse for a project. So I thought
> I'd do something for the economy by buying a frame with steeper angles
> and shorter chainstays and build it up with a compact cassette and
> some shinny Dura-Ace stuff on it. I want it to be a fairly traditional
> bike so I'm sticking with steel, maybe I have a few hours on ebay in
> front of me.

Will steeper angles and short chainstays actually make you faster, do
you think?