On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 20:40, David Estes <cyclotour...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Point taken, but it still bugs me.  Antithesis to my way of selling things,
> especially on ebaby.  I don't include my "labor" in the cost of a sale.
> That's overhead and is included in the sale price, whether fixed on auction.

Hi David:

I'm not really sure why we disagree on this, and I won't go on and on
about this, but here's one more.

I prefer to offer things for sale on, e.g., the iBOB list (assuming an
item that fits in a flat rate box), with a flat price that includes
shipping, which I feel best reflects that shipping cost and my
overhead and labor are flat, and does not try to confuse a buyer by
making them do any math. Surely you will agree that this is a bona
fide and fair approach.

However I feel that it is inappropriate to take this approach on eBay,
because then I am paying eBay's fees on shipping, which eBay does not
deserve. Likewise, I think it is fair to add an additional handling
charge, because if I don't, all those handling costs that one absorbs
are also being taxed by eBay. Charging a handling charge, stated
clearly up front, does not hurt the buyer, but represents a reasonable
kind of tax deduction on eBay's fees, and also provides a way to offer
a discount above and beyond the actual postage fee to local buyers who
save me valuable time and energy. So I would encourage you (and
others) not to judge harshly those buyers who quote a reasonable
"handling" charge above and beyond the price of actual postage.

James