(Said in a Crocodile Dundee voice.)

http://picasaweb.google.com/bertin531/ODDSANDENDS#5329818580184880578

and before and after.

I am sitting at a caff (as the Brits call them) in the middle of a 20 mile
off road ride, of which, by the time I get home, some 12 to 14 miles will
have been over sand, 1 to 3 inches deep. One experimental out-and-back of
jeep track, 4 miles total, of which 3 at least were one to three inches deep
in sand, I managed at 10 to 12 1/2 mph without having to stand and exerting
myself no more, in this 64" gear, than I would climbing a steepish hill,
seated, in the same gear. The big (29 1/2 inch diameter) and 65 mm wide (on
the 44 mm rims; the tires measured only 55 on the earlier, 24 mm rims) tires
definitely float over sand better than anhy 26" wheel, even with the same
tire, and, I judge cautiously, they do better than the same tires at the
same (20/30) pressures on the narrower rims. At these pressures the tires
roll well on pavement, too.

Now I need a better frame to go with the better wheels!

--
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM