I bought a too small AllRounder back in '96. http://tinyurl.com/cuuynn
(I was thinking off-road use when buying the 58cm, but later Grant put
me on a 61.5cm road frame, to give you some idea of how too small it
is.) I put mustache bars on it that ended up being 3 inches below the
saddle with a Pearl stem. After a few years I decided I hated mustache
bars (duh!). Maybe I would like them at or above saddle height, but I
am not trying again. Besides my wrong placement, I missed the top
flats.

But that is not why I am writing. When I rode the mustache, I often
just lightly rested my hands on the tops of the bars or the brake
levers, not hooking a thumb or finger underneath as I do when riding
drops or flat bars. This was fine for years. But one day, in the
summer of 1997, I saw a shapely young cyclist up the road. So of
course I accelerated to overtake. I failed to notice a speed bump, and
as I hit it, my hands flew off the bars and off I went the front end
of the bike. The too low bars put a dent in the top tube. The road
scraped lots of flesh off my left arm. The impact broke both cups of
the ends of the radius (or ulna, I don't know which is what in my
forearm) of my right arm. It hurt like hell to ride back home, and for
a month thereafter. The arm pops on rare occasion to this day when I
straighten my arm (calcium buildup along the cup crack?).

So the moral of this story is something like, not to stay away from
the mustache, but keep your hormones in check, or keep your thumb
hooked under your mustache, or maybe both!