Chris' mention of his bike tipping over in his roof rack reminded me of
something that happened when I recently carried my Atlantis in the roof
rack. Just as I was pulling into the parking lot at a bike rally, I
heard
something that sounded like someone was throwing a rock at my car. Once
I'd parked the car, I happened to notice that a bolt was sitting on the
roof of my car. It was the bolt used to hold the seat post in place.
Fortunately, the nut was still lodged in its recess on the bike. In the
90 minutes that it took to get to the bike rally, it had unscrewed
itself
the rest of the way. (It was raining that morning so I'd taken my
leather
seat off.)

So, should you remove your seat for travel, be sure to tighten that bolt
up if you don't want to ride in a rally without a seat. ;)

robert