Beth: drilling the VO fenders, and the rest of the installation process, is
not a big deal. I've installed three pairs of metal fenders, and only the
first set (Berthoud stainless) took more than an hour, because I was new to
it and didn't have good instructions. FWIW, since I am always impatient, and
act before I plan (plan?), I generally drill the holes a bit off, but even
so, I've had no real problems and the fenders ended up looking good.
Hiroshi used to have meticulous mounting instructions for the Honjos on his
fenders page; I used those for mounting pair #2 (Honjos) and they went on
smoothly and quickly. In fact, because the hardware is better and you
install the fenders with more customization, I dare say that, with a bit of
practice, metals are even easier to install than plastics (I've installed
many Zefals and SKSes, and one pair each of Blumels and  Cascadias).

If the other Cascadias are like the 60 mm pair I have on my 29er, the VO
fenders are far better, at least for a road bike: sturdier, stiffer, and
mount more securely; beside being far, far longer and better looking.

--
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM