There are hotels in older buildings that cater to European tourists in
SF and are in the $100 per night range, which in my experience is
pretty cheap for lodging in a big city. Hotel Rex, Hotel Carlton, Post
Hotel are some that I can think of but there are others. Around
Rockridge BART there are some B&B's for not too much. Here is one
listing: http://www.bbonline.com/ca/deans/index.html
As noted, Rockridge is about midway between Riv HQ and SF and is a
pretty nice neighborhood but does not have the urban experience of the
Mission.