On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Jan Heine<hein...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> The answer is simple: Standover clearance never is a safety issue
> even for an only mildly experienced rider.

Jan,

Not so much for safety but the one place where I will insist on
standover clearance is on a tandem.  I don't feel at all comfortable
trying to hold the bike for the stoker to mount while I have a foot
off the ground.

I agree completely about toe overlap, and it's a worse hazard for me
on the tandem because a) there are more times I'm going slow enough
for it to be an issue and b) the captain doesn't complete control of
the pedals on most tandems.

I realize that bringing up tandems on RBW may not be completely
on-topic but they're definitely bicycles and there are some people
here other than Jan and me who ride them.

-Ken