Patrick,

I changed my 26/36/46 to 26/40/bashguard last year. It was easy to do and I
couldn't be happier with it. All that was required was to remove the middle
and outer chainrings and install the new ones. No messing around with BB,
FD or anything else.

In fact, I liked not shifting in front so much that I went to a single cog
in back too. Sounds like that wouldn't work for the terrrain you ride in
though.

Jay