On 03/24/2014 07:53 PM, Deacon Patrick wrote:
Thanks, Steve. Maybe I'm using "cross over" incorrectly. I mean the issue where you don't want to use your small gears when you're in your small front ring and vice-versa for the big cog. I'm fine with shifting down or up five gears when I shift the front one.

"Crossing over" means shifting from one chain ring to the other. Small front/small rear and large front/large rear combinations are what's known as "cross chaining". You definitely want to avoid cross chaining. Not only does the chain run at an extreme angle, which exacerbates wear, but often the chain can contact the other chain ring. One big reason for having two chain rings is so that you can avoid extreme angles; another is that you can extend the range and have higher high and lower low gears than you can on a single chain ring.