I have Midge bars and Sparrow bars, and they're very different animals. The
Midges feel like flared drops, with several usable hand positions, and they
take road brake levers and bar-end shifters. The Sparrows really only have
one hand position, at the ends, and are more like Dove or Albatross bars. I
have them set up with old XT thumbshifters, and while they're comfortable,
I wouldn't use them for singletrack riding. I can't really lift the front
wheel when riding that bike. When I ride singletrack with the Midge, I
invariably find myself switching to deep in the hooks, to get the most
leverage and to shift my body weight forward. For general riding, I'm on
the shoulders of the Midge bars, and typically braking with my thumbs on
the interrupter levers I've got a couple inches out from the stem.

Just my 2 cents!