Chris,

Great story. Totally worth it, I'm sure. Reminds me of the summer of '78. I
was 18, just out of high school, working as a cook at Old Faithful Lodge in
Yellowstone. Had a day off and a hankering for a buffalo burger and a piece
of pie from the little cafe in West Yellowstone - 31 miles away. My bike at
the time was a Montgomery Wards 10-speed and my riding duds Levis and a
flannel shirt. Threw on a daypack and a water bottle and did the ride. Good
burger and pie, for sure. And spectacular scenery along the Firehole and
Madison Rivers. Mostly uphill on the way back including one pretty stiff
climb up the Firehole Canyon, full stomach and heat of the day. I remember
pulling into a picnic area along the river with about 10 miles left and
lying down on a table and falling asleep. My first long ride.

Mike