Hi DS,
Congrats on the Hunqapillar!

Shifters:
The MTN vs Road bar thing: you might want to consider the "IRD Silver SOS
thumbies" offered by Riv. Unlike the Paul thumbies, which are for specific
h-bar diameters, the SOS thumbies come with shims. You can swap between MTN
and Road bars by moving the SOS +/- shim. With a set each of MTN and road
brake levers, you'd be all set to try a whole bunch of set ups.

Alternatively, if you're ok with it, down tube shifters would obviate the
change shifter issue. A quill shifter mount would also do the trick.

(I'm a thumbies and bar-end shifter sort of guy, so I'll deal with the
swaps. If you're into swapping on a 10-min whim, you can get a set of
DaVinci splitters. I think Ritchey offers a similar splitter.)

Grips:
I usually run bars without tape until I get the brake levers "just right".
If that's not your thing, bar tape wraps quickly and is inexpensive.
Clamp-on grips would work, too. The downside to the cork grips is the glue
part-- some use tape or hairspray to get the grips on without using glue.

I'd also recommend Spur Cycles grip rings.
(http://spurcycle.com/griprings.html) They are silicone and comfy. I have
them on my crosscheck, and they are fairly easy on/off.

Stems:
Stem length can make a huge difference in comfort. dougP mentioned
removable face plate for swaps-- you can combine that and stem changes by
using a threadless stem adaptor. VO and Nitto (probably others) make them.
You can then use fairly inexpensive threadless stems to dial in the proper
stem length. I think Marc Irwin who posts to this list has his Hunqapillar
set up with one of these stems.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!
Shoji