Well, my lightest tubed bike thus far is my Rawland Stag, at 8/5/8 standard
diameter.  It is by far my fastest bike in terms of my rolling average
speed, but also fastest in terms of my ability to get up hills in a higher
gear ratio than any of my other bikes, and the bike on which I feel the
least fatigued after a long ride.  I attribute this to the mystery behind
the term 'planing'.

As for low trail, I'm not experienced enough.  My Rawland has 37mm trail
with 42mm 650B tires.  Yet I still feel 'flop' when I have more than a few
pounds on my front rack.  In contrast, my Trek 560 with racy geometry, 60mm
trail and skinny 25mm tires seems to handle a couple of pounds in a
handlebar bag just dandy.  I simply haven't ridden enough bikes of vastly
different geometric trail to come to any meaningful conclusion.  My only
comment is that I was disappointed that the Stag didn't flop less, being
purported as a purpose-designed low-trail, front-loading bike.

My next bike will be a full-custom, with even thinner tubing and less
geometric trail. So it will be interested to see how that compares with the
Stag in terms of speed and also front load handling.

Anton