The people on this list have forgotten more about bikes than I’ll ever know
but I was around the golf business when aerospace engineers and materials
scientists started to revolutionize the clubs and the ball.  I’m sure that
the intent was to help the average player make better contact, get the ball
up in the air and hit it a little straighter (and sell everybody a new set
of clubs).   In the hands of professionals, the new club and ball
completely changed the game and forced tournament courses to be redesigned
to protect par.  However, for the average guy with the average golf swing,
the club and ball were never an important limiting factor to better
scoring.  I recently heard that now that equipment improvements have
plateaued, pros are practicing with old persimmon woods and balata balls to
get better feedback on contact.  Likewise, I read that the Lovely Bicycle
blogger was climbing hills in a higher than optimum gear try to do some
resistance training.  When I was in the Air Force I worked on tactics
against surveillance architectures.  Then I was recruited into a group
developing countermeasures against those tactics.   I was aware of groups
working on countermeasures against our countermeasures that we called
counter-countermeasures.  Crazy games.