I to was thinking that the greater mass of the Knard wheels might be the
reason. While this comparison is only on pavement, I do know that the
Fargo's wheels, with SnoCat rims and 60 mm Big Apple tires -- which roll
very well on flat pavement, incidentally -- certainly require more effort
to push up steep hills -- again, paved, compared to wheels with lighter
rims and tires.

I also wonder if geometry is not another cause: one that forces you to lean
forward when you are used to sitting back may well wear you out faster.

At any rate, I'd be interested in the upshot -- whether the OP gets used to
the Krampus, or modifies the gearing, or ditches it.

Interesting discussion for me, who have so often thought I'd like a fat
tired off road bike (fat = considerably fatter than 50 to 65 mm).

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Garth <garth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm guessing the rotational weight difference is what you are feeling.
> Compare the weight of your Atlantis tires and rims, to that of the
> Surly's.  It's likely more, but I don't know your Atlantis wheels.
> 700g for a 700c Rabbit hole rim
> 1205-1229g for the Knard 29 x 3" 27 tpi
> http://fat-bike.com/2012/01/tire-weights-for-fat-bikes/
>
> A 700c Synergy weighs 500g
> fill-in-your-tire-here :)
>
> I'm going to guess off the cuff you're going to have over a pound per
> wheel more rotational weight.  Some will say it does not matter, some say
> it does. To me, yes, it does, and yet, it does not. For the bottom line is,
> Do I enjoy riding the bike as I define my Joy of Riding ?
>
> And finally, each bike is it's own Bike. the Surly isn't a Rivendell, so
> comparing the two , unless it pleases you to do so, is an exercise in
> futility :)  An apple is an apple, an orange and orange. Love them both or
> neither or one , I get to choose !!!!!!!

Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and letters that get interviews.
Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, Nouvelle Mexique, Etats Unis