My short answer would be when tensioning it laterally with cord loses it's
intended result.  I tensioned my ~2000 B17 and it initially felt tighter but
soon went back to feeling overly hammocky on my groin.  For now, cord is all
I'll use to keep it propped up to where I like it and so far so good.  I expect
to have to tension it via the bolt in the distant future, which amounts to 1-2
years with my riding habits.