I designed the bike for those clearances, and the samples we got fit those
tires. But ---------- you know---I don't want to get into a backand forth,
but would just like to make a few points

----- one maker's 700x35 is skinnier or fatter than another's
---- at least a few (that I know of) makers started being more accurate
with tire dimensions around about 2003. Panaracer changed its 35 to a 32
around that time, and I think others followed
----- it's a stretch to say "I've made a living being honest about bikes"
but it's not a stretch to say I've always gone to obsessive extents to be
forthright, and yet...this
----- what one designs and requests is sometimes different from what one
GETS.

in my experience, there is less variance from spec from higher volume
makers than from lower volume ones. I don't mean to paint smallies with a
broad brush, but foundationally, if you're going to make a hundred of the
same thing at the same time, it ultra-behooves you to lock in the machinery
within a gnat's hair of spec.

We have, over the years and in secret and at our own expense much of the
time, rejected frames because this or that tiny detail wasn't quite exact.
Because we see so many bikes, we have keen eyes and senses for out-of-spec,
and we don't get on the slippery slope of accepting it "this time" for
political or diplomatic reasons.

These are hand-made bikes, and although Jim may not trust us anymore (I
understand that), i believe  in my bones that they are remarkably
consistent and true to the propaganda about them. It's what I do with my
life, and I care deeply about all those details. But with tire designation
changes and the rare mfr goofup and the nature of human labor, it is just
hard to achieve 100 percent perfection. I WISH that didn't call into
question our standards or intent or integrity, but I certainly understand
Jim's disappointment, and am sorry for it.