I agree that the data are irrelevant-- but, the reason that I wear a helmet
is that if I'm in a collision, then I don't want the excuse to-be "the
cyclist wasn't wearing a helmet".

In virtually all of the bike/auto collisions covered in the Boston-area
media, there's a statement "Cyclist was/was not wearing a helmet" or "It is
unknown whether cyclist was wearing a helmet". In some situations, it's
comically sad to include helmet/no helmet, because the helmet is
irrelevant: e.g., cyclist was run over by a garbage truck, a head-on
collision with a fast-moving car crossing over the double yellow, etc.

Here's a first-person narrative from SF (excerpt from
http://humofthecity.com/2014/04/21/who-protects-us-from-you/):
"..When my son and I had our injuries assessed, the paramedics took off our
helmets (and cut off the rest of my clothes as well). For the next half
hour that we were in the ambulance as the police took the report, I was
asked repeatedly whether we had been wearing helmets. “Were you sure you
were wearing helmets? You’re not wearing helmets now. If you were really
wearing helmets, where are they? Were you really wearing a helmet?” Then
they asked my son whether we were really wearing helmets. My husband showed
them our helmets.  “Were they wearing those helmets when they were hit?”
The paramedics said we were wearing helmets, that they had taken off our
helmets. “Did you see the helmets on them?” They asked the (many, many)
witnesses, “Were they wearing helmets?” They said yes. “Are you sure?.."

--shoji