Bicycles in our country are still an anomaly on the road, unlike the other
countries mentioned here, where a significant bicycle contribution to
traffic is the norm.  You need to do everything you can to alert drivers of
your presence - Blinkies - and to protect yourself - helmet.  But back to
the anomaly thing.  In our country there is a driving syndrome that my
buddy and I call the wounded water buffalo.  If you have a bike on a bike
rack, or a securely strapped kayak on your vehicle, people will drive
unusually aggressive around you.  Because you are an anomaly in traffic,
people drive more dangerously rather than more safely.  It happens when
you're on a bicycle, too.  I was turning left from a 5-lane road on
Saturday.  When I moved from the right lane to the left lane toward the
left turn lane, a car approaching the red light accelerated to intercept me
and pass me as close as he could to me while he was stopping at the red
light.  On the 30-mile loop this day, there were a dozen people who were
overly gracious - stopping when they didn't have to - to help us navigate
intersections safely.  Bless them, and they're not the ones who are going
to hurt you - it's going to be the person who is either ignorant of your
presence, or intentionally dangerous because of your presence.