One last thing to check Patrick: when you cut the cable housing, did you
grind the cable ends flat? If there is a burr there it will compress before
the pads can fully engage giving a squishy feel. Also as someone noted
here, loose housing will flex. I tie the brake firmly engaged with a toe
strap around the lever. Then I tape the housing to the bar in this flexed,
engaged mode. This keeps the housing from flexing, and it can flex even
under handlebar tape.. If your pads are oriented correctly these two steps,
housing end grinding, and flexed housing taped to the bars before wrapping,
will take ALL the squishy feel out of a brake.