Speaking from personal experience, I don't think it would be helpful to ride a
350K in preparation for a 400K, or a 550 before a 600. The 400 and 600
distances start stretching the notion of "fun" (for me) and start becoming real
work. Personally, if I were going to ride 500K, I would only do that on the way
to a full 600K.

The longer distances will test several things:

The suitability of your bike to be comfortably ridden for days at a time
Your ability to ride and perform under a sleep deficit (you will *never* be
able to get enough sleep on a 600 or 1200)
The quality of your clothing, particularly your shorts. I've ridden more than
150 double centuries, and in my experience there's a huge difference between
that distance and a 600 or 1200. A minor irritation caused by chafing that you
can live with for 200 miles can quickly become quite painful and serious at the
longer distances. The worst thing that happened to me at PBP in 2011 was
chafing on Day 3, the result of a minor issue that I stupidly didn't deal with
properly on Day 1.
Your ability to manage time, maintain a pace, and deal with minor setbacks. At
PBP, you'll likely end up finishing close to the max time. Little things add up
over the course of the almost 4 days you'll be riding, and if you don't pay
constant attention to moving toward your goal, you could easily DNF. An extra 5
minutes at each control will add up to an additional hour of time--that could
be a disaster.

Here's a pretty good overview of what the different distances are about (not
written by me):
http://marcusjb.wordpress.com/2013/11/05/so-youre-thinking-about-paris-brest-paris-2015-then/

--Eric N
campyonly...@me.com